Located at only 20 minutes from the border with Hungary, Satu Mare is the access gate to Maramureş for travels coming from Central and Western Europe.
The archaeological evidence shows settlements from the area dating from the Stone Age and Bronze Age; there is also the proof that Geto-Dacians continued to live in this region after the Roman conquest from 105-106 AD.
The city was mentioned for the first time in 1181 as Castrum Zotmar, a fortified fortress which gave the name of the city. The old city, which spreads to the North of Someș river, shelters some of the most important attractions. Unfortunately, during the leadership of Ceaușescu, a great part of the historical neighbourhood was destroyed. Traian Boulevard leads directly to the central Piața Libertății (Freedom Public Square). You will find more churches, museums and hotels around the public square.
For all travels with TAROM, both internal and international, you have free services, such as:
- Free transport of baggage of up to 23 kg (1 piece of baggage for Economy Class)+8 kg of hand baggage. More details here.
- Free check-in in the airport , at the kiosk, online and on the mobile phone. More details about online check-in here.
- For online check-in on flights operated by TAROM from Satu Mare click here.
- How do I get to the city from the airport
- Distance from the airport: 9 km.