Conditions of transport of weapons and ammunition
Conditions of transport of weapons and ammunition as checked baggage on flights operated by TAROM
Following the requirements of the European Union in the field of civil aviation security, the transport of weapons and ammunition is not accepted in the passenger cabin on TAROM flights. These can be only transported as checked or cargo baggage, complying with the following conditions:
- the weapon is unloaded;
- the ammunition will be transported separately from the weapon, in a secured box;
- the fire arms and ammunition will be transported in fibre glass, plastic, wood or hard authorized package boxes or containers labelled accordingly and locked so as to be protected against shocks and sudden movements.
Categories of weapons and ammunition authorized to be transported:
- weapons and ammunition for sport purposes, such as: hunting, shooting with disks, competitive hunting (all types of hunting weapons, including rifles for safari and sniper rifles);
- start guns, weapons with balls, compressed-air weapons and rifles with paint balls;
- self-defense weapons (INTERPOL employees, Border Police, Officers from Protection and Guard Service, etc.);
- imitations of weapons and old weapons, such as: powder guns, muskets, old rifles of over 75 years.
Acceptance procedures, reservation and transport conditions for the passengers who transport weapons and ammunition:
- it is MANDATORY that the passenger declares the intention to transport weapons or ammunition on flights operated by TAROM;
- it is MANDATORY the introduction in PNR of the mention "transport of weapons and/or ammunition" (number of weapons, number of ammunition containers) by the issuing agent;
- the maximum quantity of ammunition that can be transported is 5 kg, regardless of the number of weapons owned by the passenger;
- the weapons and ammunition can be only transported in special containers, as independent baggage (these must not be introduced inside other checked baggage);
- it is MANDATORY that the passenger who transports baggage with weapons and/or ammunition to come personally at the airport for the formalities with minimum 2 hours before the take-off hour from the travel ticket;
- when carrying out the check-in formalities at the airport for the approval to transport weapons and/or ammunition, the passenger has the obligation to show TAROM personnel the valid firearm licence or authorization and in case of international flights he/she has the obligation to prove the fulfilment of all legal formalities concerning the exit from the country and entry in the country.